News at Camp Ford
Great things have happened at the park. Period rail fencing has been erected around the highway permeter. A water line has been installed, and the primary Kiosk is completed. Our first cabin reconstruction and walking trails are completed, and we have flagpoles erected. Would you like to commemorate your ancestor's state by helping fund a flagpole and flag? Click here.
Our Special Thanks To The Following:
- Sheriff J. B. Smith for providing skilled work release prisoners for the kiosk construction.
- Smith County Judges Randall Rogers, Tom Dunn, Floyd Getz, Dianne DeVasto and Louis Gohmert for providing Community Service Probationers to work on the project.
- An Anonymous donor for providing over 60 yards of concrete for the kiosk.
- Glenn Young of A-1 Hydromulch for grassing in the area of the old roadside park.
- Wayne McCluney of McCluney Pest Control and the East Texas Pest Control Association for working with us in pre-treating the ground area for the cabin, and for continued pest control on the structure.
- Jacobe Brothers Construction Company for the work on the Kiosk.
- The Jim Vaughn Foundation for providing funding for the Primary Kiosk.
- Baxter Simpson of Simpson Electric for installing our electric lines for the Kiosk and the lights for the flag poles.
LOOP 323 EXTENSION NOW "CAMP FORD MEMORIAL PARKWAY"
Thanks to the efforts of Smith County Officials and the Texas Department of Transportation, the Loop 323 extension has now been renamed "Camp Ford Memorial Parkway and signs have been erected. Additionally, TexDOT has installed directional signs for the "Camp Ford Historic Park" on US 271.
CAMP FORD LITHOGRAPH AVAILABLE
This lithograph, which was published between 1870 and 1875, provides a south view of the camp, with several smaller insert drawings. The artwork was drawn by James McClain "F" 120th Ohio, who was captured May 3, 1864, and in the final group of prisoners to leave Camp Ford on May 19, 1865. The original lithograph was donated to the Smith County Historical Society by Susan Busch, a descendant of Philip Kuhn, the principal musician of the 120th.
The lithograph has been digitally restored and printed on 18" X 24" high quality paper. Copies may be ordered from the Smith County Historical Society.
ARCHEOLOGICAL REPORT AVAILABLE
The final Archeological Report from The Center for Ecological Archeology, Texas A&M University is now available. Entitled Uncovering Camp Ford, it may be purchased from the Smith County Historical Society. Read more about archaeology at Camp Ford here.